Vancouver East Find your water or sewer connection

Find your water or sewer connection


Phone 3-1-1 for measurements of where water and sewer connections cross your front property line, and at what depth. Generally, we don't track where these pipes go on your private property, but our records can help you estimate their location.

Find out where your front property line meets City property

Locate your water line and shut-off valve

The lid for water shut-off valves is 10 cm wide and made of ironTo access your water connection, look for a 10 cm-wide (4 inch) circular iron lid stamped with the letters VWW.

Stand on the City sidewalk and face your house. The lid will be within 1 metre (3 feet) from the edge of the sidewalk at the position measurements you get from 3-1-1.

This iron cap covers the access pipe to your water shut-off valve (also called a curb stop valve). The valve and your water service line are usually 1 to 1.2 m (3 to 4 feet) below street level.

The lid could be buried under grass or plants, so poke the ground with a screwdriver or garden trowel until you strike the lid.

Still can't find your water line?

Get a City crew to locate your water line (charges apply)

Locate your sewer line, clean out, and sump

To access your sewer line, look for a clean out or sump. A clean out is an pipe with a threaded steel cap or green, white, or black plastic cap that is located:

  • At the base of the main sewer drain pipe (or plumbing stack) inside or outside your home
  • At the property line, based on the position measurements you get from 3-1-1

The sump collects rainwater and controls water levels.

A sump is a circular or square concrete chamber that collects rainwater from gutters and drain tiles before sending it to the sewer. Sumps can be are either in your basement, crawl space, or your yard.

The depth of sewer lines at the property line is typically 1.5 m (5 feet) below street level, although this varies by property.

Before you dig

Whether you are digging to find a leaking water pipe or plugged sewer pipe, planting a tree, or building a fence, it is important to know where all the pipes run. 

Damaging underground pipes can be costly and dangerous. Before you start construction or renovations, locate your home's water, sewer, and other utility connections beneath your property.

 WARNING: Digging around water and sewer lines may also impact underground gas lines, which can cause property damage and risk personal safety. Contact BC One Call to find out where gas lines and other utilities are located below ground.

BC One Call

Find your front property line

For the purpose of locating your water and sewer connection, you can estimate where your property meets City property in two ways.

  1. Face your property from the street. If you have a fence or retaining wall, it should be at the property line. If your neighbours on the same side of the block have a fence or wall, your property line should line up with theirs.
  2. View an aerial image of your property using the online map tool VanMap (instructions below).

If you will excavate near the property line, consult with a surveyor to confirm your property line location.

No comments

Post Your Comment:

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.