The holiday season from November through January is often considered the worst time to put a home on the market 1. However, there are some advantages to selling your home during the holidays. For instance, holiday buyers tend to be more serious and competition is less fierce with fewer homes being actively marketed 1.
If you are planning to sell your home during Christmas, here are some tips that might help you:
- Don’t go overboard with decorations: While homes often look their best during the holidays, it’s important to avoid overdoing it on the decor. Adornments that are too large or too many can crowd your home and distract buyers. Opt for general fall and winter decorations rather than items with religious themes 1.
- Hire a reliable real estate agent: Find someone who will work hard for you and won’t disappear during Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s 1.
- Seek out motivated buyers: Work with your agent to target buyers on a deadline, including people relocating for jobs in your area, investors on tax deadlines, college students and staff, and military personnel, if you live near a military base 1.
- Price it to sell: A home that’s priced low for the market will make buyers feel merry. Rather than gradually making small price reductions, many real estate agents advise sellers to slash their prices before putting a home on the market 1.
- Make curb appeal a top priority: When autumn rolls around and the trees start to lose their leaves, maintaining the exterior of your home becomes even more important. Bare trees equal a more exposed home, so touch up the paint, clean the gutters and spruce up the yard. Keep buyers’ safety in mind as well by making sure stairs and walkways are free of snow, ice and leaves 1.
I hope these tips help you sell your home during Christmas. Good luck!