East Van—affectionately dubbed Yeast Van by local imbibers—has long been considered ground zero for the city’s craft beer renaissance. And on April 30, Vancouverites will have the chance to get acquainted (or reacquainted) with the bustling brew zone.
As part of the Yeast Van Brewing District’s second annual Hop Circuit event, 14 breweries and distilleries in the Strathcona, Grandview-Woodland, and Hastings-Sunrise neighbourhoods will be opening their doors to the public from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. for free brewery-room tours.
There, guests will get a behind-the-scenes look at how some of the city’s most popular beers are concocted while meeting the brewmasters behind their favourite suds. Beer and spirit samplers will also be available and eight food trucks, including Aussie Pie Guy, Vij’s, and Community Pizzeria, will be stationed throughout to keep famished drinkers full.
Vancouverites are encouraged to walk, skate, or bike through the area on a self-guided tour. If you’d like a little more structure to your jaunt, Vancouver Brewery Tours will be onsite with a shuttle service.
This year’s Hop Circuit features newcomers Luppolo Brewing Company and Andina Brewing. Parallel 49, which is currently undergoing a renovation, will open its brewery room doors for tours but its tasting room will remain closed for construction.
Brewery stamps will also be provided at this time for those who nabbed an East Village passport. Completed booklets may be redeemed for a free branded growler.
Check out the full list of participating breweries and distilleries below and peep the map above to plan your route.
- Andina Brewing, 1507 Powell Street
- Bomber Brewing, 1488 Adanac Street
- Callister Brewing Co.,1338 Franklin Street
- Coal Harbour Brewing, 1967 Triumph Street
- Doan Craft Brewing, 1830 Powell Street
- Luppolo Brewing Company,1123 Venables Street
- Odd Society Spirits, 1725 Powell Street
- Off The Rail Brewing Co., 1351 Adanac Street
- Parallel 49 Brewing, 1950 Triumph Street
- Postmark Brewing, 55 Dunlevy Avenue
- Powell Street Brewery, 1357 Powell Street
- Storm Brewing, 310 Commercial Drive
- Strange Fellows Brewing, 1345 Clark Drive
- Strathcona Beer Company, 895 East Hastings Street
Follow Lucy Lau on Twitter @lucylau.