Character Home Zoning Review
We are conducting the Character Home Zoning Review to look at options for the retention of heritage and character homes in single-family (RS) zoning districts.
Geographic and zoning options are being explored that could result in changes to regulations for both pre-1940 character homes and new home development in older single-family neighbourhoods.
This review is part of the Heritage Action Plan.
What is a character home?
A character home:
November and December open houses: learn more and provide your feedback
Drop-in to our four open houses any time to learn about the review, ask questions, and give your feedback.
An online survey will be available starting November 21.
Our guiding principles
- Character homes define our city's neighbourhoods.
- Retaining character homes contributes to meeting our Greenest City goals.
- Zoning regulations must reflect the long-term objectives for a neighbourhood.
Understand character homes within the context of the city
- Review historic patterns of residential development
- Identify areas where character homes are managed through zoning
- Identify other areas with high concentrations of potential character homes and make these focus areas for study
Plan for focus areas
- Examine focus areas for distinctive character, such as their current condition, zoning, and so on
- Review our policies that may impact the future of the areas, like housing and transportation
- Develop geographic and zoning options
- Consult with the community on our analysis and the options
- Review the community's feedback and develop recommendations
Implement recommended zoning changes
- Consult with the community on the final recommendations
- Refer the final recommendations for City Council to consider and approve
- Heritage or character buildings review - interim procedure (140 KB)
- Demolition permits for pre-1940 houses - waste recycling requirements (148 KB)
- Heritage home-owner guide to the 2014 Vancouver Building Bylaw (5 MB)
- Heritage Action Plan glossary of key terms (290 KB)
- Character homes zoning review - single family homes (3.72 MB)